1/06/2010

Doctor's.. pah.. I'll take Ruth..

I haven't blogged much over the past year. If I had.. you would have read a lot of cranky posts about having migraines and the side effects of migraine medications and so forth. I'm still having migraines, but they seem to be fewer and further between.

That said.. it's not because any doctor came up with a magical fix. The closest we got was my ENT realizing that my migraines were aggravating a salivary gland and causing additional pain in my neck.. so a med has helped with that.. but that doesn't change the migraines. I've had a CT scan, an MRI, an EEG, bloogwork, a colonoscopy (they were stretching there) and aside from picking up on a partially unrelated issue of iron deficient anemia.. they all came up with nothing.. nada.. no clue.

Yesterday.. when I was picking Ben up from daycare.. Ruth takes one look at me and says "do you have another migraine?". I didn't. She smiled and shook her head and moved on with getting the little man ready. Later in the evening... migraine. This afternoon.. migraine.

When I picked up Ben today I put my hands on my hips and said "Ruth! you asked me out of the blue if i had a migraine and I said no.. but then 3 hours later i had a migraine.. first in over a month.. how did you know?" She smiled sweetly and said "do you know when you're getting a migraine?" I do.. I get auras that last for 10-15 minutes before a major migraine hits, so i know it's coming. She just nodded and smiled and then moved on to talk about some of the things Ben did today.

That woman just knows.. I'm telling you.. she's like psychic, but in a medical sort of way.. she just knows what's ailing you. Too bad she can't write prescriptions.

In other news.. Josephina (other daycare helper) laughs and says to me.. "I was changing Ben's diaper and he said "Mommy hit me". I almost fell over. I'll admit.. he's gotten the occasional swat.. on the thigh then he ran out in the road laughing after i told him not to.. and on the hand a few times after hitting me until i quickly learned that it didn't help and it just made him hit back harder.

After fumbling over myself trying to figure out why he told daycare that I was hitting him.. I remembered that this morning he had thrown a tantrum while I was changing his diaper and I said "stop kicking me.. mommy doesn't hit you.. why are you hurting mommy". He obviously only took part of that message with him for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment