2/09/2010

Just a spoonful of sugar

I'm not the first one to deal with this. There are plenty of sites available with lots of home remedies to help get your kids to take their medicine. Heck.. even Mary Poppins had an idea. Golly.. even pediatricians and pharmacists have ideas. I know what works for my kid though (actually.. this is all Shiela.. so let me rephrase that.. "Shiela knows what works for our kid."

Ben is on Augmentin.. it tastes like chalk.. it looks like liquid chalk.. it tastes like chalk (I already said that). We've never had a problem with him taking meds.. but with this one.. it was a no-go. SO... Shiela stopped at the pharmacy and had them add bubble gum flavor (same taste as his Motrin.. which he takes with no problem) and since their flavor packs don't add color (still looks like chalk)..

She added food coloring. We now have pink, bubble-gum flavored, Augmentin. And he will take it!

I did my best to throw a kink in the works by offering him a piece of chocolate if he took his medicine. So how he expects chocolate with each dose (of Augmentin, or Tylenol, or when *I* take my own medicine). Shiela wins mom of the month with her idea. I'm going to go get slapped by the dentist for my idea.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm..yuk medicine plus great flavoring & coloring!!! WOW Shiela you do rock!! I just wish I had something like that when you kids were little...I really had no problems with the taste of meds with Amy..if I remember right(which is always in question). But you and Beck..now that 's different.. you guys would hate the taste of some meds. Hence.. Dr. Werner to the rescue... mix with sugar..He didn't care what I used as long as I got it in you....that's why using chocolate is okay, too!!

    ReplyDelete