2/16/2010

Ear tubes going in (again).. adenoids coming out.. gah!

Ok.. so Benji saw his ENT this morning. He had a raging ear infection last week and we've been on the wait and see list for going back in for a third round of tubes.

As it turns out.. the ENT also recommends removing his adenoids. They are very large.. obstructing his breathing when he sleeps (he snores like an old man) and have actually started making "typical" changes in his facial structure (i didn't know this could happen). He has a VERY high arched pallet and the areas just below his eyes has started flattening. It is something that is a cue to the ENT that the adenoids are too large.

Interestingly enough.. we found out that the binky.. yes.. that evil binky.. is actually doing him GOOD. It's soothing for him and given the adenoid issue.. it helps him breathe. Eff all y'all who told us to throw it away!

Ok.. that's a bit harsh... maybe I'll save the f-bomb for the dentist.

So.. we'll get a call later today with a surgery date. It's an outpatient thing. (good God!).. he'll have the surgery on a Thursday and assuming all goes well, he should be back to normal and back to school and eating/jumping/hearing by the following Monday.

There is a slight chance they may take his tonsils too. They want us to watch his sleep patterns with a watch with a second hand and see if his breath pauses for more than 4 seconds while he's sleeping/snoring. If so.. out come the tonsils.

I had an agreement with God.. 2010 was going to be easier than 2009. I've worked on my end of the bargain.. I think He needs to step it up a notch. Send prayers and/or positive thoughts for my little man! I'll keep you all updated as we learn more.

2 comments:

  1. Plenty of prayers and positive thoughts for my Handsome Man. Better for tonsils to be taken out when he's young if need be!! Look at Damian.. I am glad about his pacifier, too!! Hope all goes well for surgery day!! LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of prayers & thoughts from Jaaym/Pop too. I'm so happy you guys have such wonderful doctors. Had I known years ago that Shiela's tonsils COULD HAVE been taken out, I'd have done so. Twenty-two/24 yrs old is tooooooo long to wait for such & she really suffered...of course, hindsight is 20/20. I pray things work out & Ben will feel so much better --- Mommies too ---. Love ALL 3 of you guys. I miss you every day!!!

    ReplyDelete