11/05/2008

Post election blues..

I sure am moody!

I'm extremely bummed today. This is not how I wanted to feel. Obama won.. this is what I've been "fasting and praying for" (well.. not really.. I've been eating a lot of chocolate over it). I should be able to party like it's 1999..

but no.. not for me.. not today..

Proposition 8, in California, appears to have passed by a fairly large margin (I believe the count is 54% Yes to 48% No with 95% of precincts reporting as of this morning.) For those of you who haven't sat down with a lawyer to discuss the pros and cons and challenges of same-sex marriage.. let's forget the moral argument crap. The bottom line at this point is that there are a lot of families who have entered into a legally binding agreement and there is no clear cut plan for how their marriages will be handled. Will they be negated? Has that ever happened in history (I know that answer.. NOPE). The fact that an issue clearly relating to descrimination was put on a public ballot is mortifying. That's why we have a legislature. I don't care if all of the kids are jumping off the bridge.. the correct action would be to keep your feet on the ground. How is it that if 54% of the voting population in California believe that gay people not only shouldn't marry, but shouldn't be allowed to breathe the same air as heterosexual couples.. how is it that they get to make a decision for the entire population?

This isn't up for comments or anything.. I'm not a debater. I just wanted to let it be known that my heart goes out to all of the families who have young children who are going to be so hurt by this. Can you imagine being told that it's illegal for your parents to love one another?

Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment