12/16/2008

Family History -- digging for an old photo



I remember a photo on the wall at my grandmother and grandfather's home when I was a kid. The photo stuck out to me because it was in a cool curved glass frame. It was a picture of my great grandmother and great grandfather with their children.. my grandfather (father's father) was one of them.

When my grandfather needed to move to a nursing home some 12+ years ago, the one item that my dad wanted from the house was this family photograph. Since then, it has hung in his dining room. I always make a point to check it out. My grandfather used to say that I reminded him of his mother.. and she was in the picture as well.

On Thanksgiving this year, I pointed the photo out to Shiela and said "now we know where Ben gets his cheeks".. a few of my great aunts and uncles had the same pudgy cheeks that gave ben his early nicknames of "Benny Cheeks". My sister, the oblivious one, happened to be walking by.. and said "huh? that's who's family?"

My dad heard this exchange and came in to tell us the story behind the photo. I was hooked. It turned out that my great grandmother had sent the family photo in to the Mellin's Food Company back in 1923. They framed it for them (the cool curved glass print) and also requested to use it in their ad campaign. Here are some letters that my dad still has of this exchange:





So... now I'm on a quest. I must find this add in print. Ebay hasn't turned up much, aside from one of the magazines in poor condition. I've emailed the seller to see if he could check for the Mellin's ad in that magazine and the condition. If it's reasonable, I may try to pick it up. In the meantime.. I now have something to fill the copious (not) amounts of free time that have been plaguing my days lately (not)...

Btw.. this is the same side of the family that is related to Obama (and George Bush and Lizzie Borden.. *chuckle*)

4 comments:

  1. That's neat, but you forgot to blur out the last name in all the Dear Mrs lines. Luckily I know your last name already so it's not news to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah yeah yeah.. i saw that just after i uploaded it.. doh! i'm too lazy to go back and edit it.. especially now that i see that the real ad shows their full name too. at least it's in a jpeg and not searchable.. right? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny comment btw--that i had no idea- i guess i am oblivious...at least I recognize and embrace it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean chatting on facebook doesn't fill your day w/absolute delight?

    ReplyDelete